Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Choosing Change

The other day I was watching Hannah play in the yard and a strong, crisp fall wind blew in and interrupted her adventures. She came came running to me with her hair in a mess and dirt all over her disgruntled face. It was then that I realized that fall has come and so have a few changes. The leaves have slightly tented in color, and the temperature has gotten below 90 but more than that, we have all grown.

Josh still can't get over the fact that Hannah is now wearing a toddler size 11 in shoes and a 5T in clothing. Sarah is still pencil thin, but she is starting to level in height with me. In fact, I let her wear my shoes from time to time. The growth in Josh and I is not as noticeable, but it is there. It's just underneath the surface. We have not grown in physical size (well, not by much) but we have expanded more in our mental growth. Marriage alone can do that to a person, but children tend to make you grow a lot more. And that's OK. It's necessary.

This past year has been all about the changes and the transition between one epic even to the next. Next week will start another transition period for us. This is the big one. This is the change that we have all been looking forward to all year. It does not mark the end of our unique experience but it does mark a new era. I'm looking forward to more smiles and hugs. I'm looking forward to many more happy family get-togethers. I'm especially looking forward to seeing God's workmanship come to life for my mother-in-law and her beautiful girls.

Last year was not a pretty picture and God chose to change it. Change reveals our flaws. Change uncovers what we try to hide. But the beauty of change is that it comes every morning. Change is good. It allows us to rid ourselves of all the same ol' junk that consistently consumes us. God chooses to change things for the better when the devil meant it for the worst. God chose to change my life so that I can be a better person. God chose to change our family's not so pretty picture into a masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment